September 2, 2015

IWSG - on perfectionism and making mistakes

today, i'm letting other people encourage you. first, a quote from Anne Lamott, part of a facebook post she wrote on May 12th. 

Here’s how to break through the perfectionism: make a LOT of mistakes. Fall on your butt more often. Waste more paper, printing out your sh--- first drafts, and maybe send a check to the Sierra Club. Celebrate messes — these are where the goods are. Put something on the calendar that you know you’ll be terrible at, like dance lessons, or a meditation retreat, or boot camp. Find a writing partner, who will help you with your work, by reading it for you, and telling you the truth about it, with respect, to help you make it better and better; for whom you will do the same thing. Find someone who wants to steal his or her life back, too. Now; today. One wild and crazy thing: wears shorts out in public if it is hot, even if your legs are milky white or heavy. Go to a poetry slam. Go to open mike, and read the story you wrote about the hilariously god-awful family reunion, with a trusted friend, even though it could be better, and would hurt Uncle Ed’s feelings if he read it, which he isn’t going to.

Change his name and hair color — he won’t even recognize himself.


At work, you begin to fulfill your artistic destiny. Wow! A reviewer may hate your style, or newspapers may neglect you, or 500 people may tell you that you are bitter, delusional and boring.

Let me ask you this: in the big juicy Zorba scheme of things, who **** cares?

and here's what a few other people had to say...  

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard, The Note Book, 1927

Never say, "oops."  Always say, "Ah, interesting."  ~Author Unknown

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field. ~Niels Bohr

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps 

You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm. ~Colette

As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes. ~Mel Brooks

Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work. ~Thomas A. Edison

for more Insecure Writers Support Group posts, use the link on my sidebar. now go out and make some mistakes!

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Say interesting instead - I like that. Be fun to use when someone tells you something really dumb.

dolorah said...

Well, I'm pretty good at making mistakes and messing things up. I shall succeed at this, lol.

Thanks Michelle.

Juneta key said...

Great quotes. Yeah I got the mistake thing down too, now if I shake off procrastination.
Juneta Writer's Gambit

Anonymous said...

Inspiring quotes! I always do foolish things with enthusiasm haha .. well, so far it hasn't weaseled its way into my writing, but I think I need to let it. And just let go. :)

- Madilyn Quinn @ NovelBrews

Nick Wilford said...

One thing I think we all have in common is making many mistakes! Thanks for the entertaining post from Anne.

Melissa Sugar said...

I'm pretty good at making mistakes. You've inspired me to go to a karaoke bar tonight and sing my heart out. Since I can't carry a tune, I might get boo'd off the stage, but who cares. Well, maybe my friends I drag along. Great post.

Nancy Gideon said...

Great post, Michelle! Love the quotes. I always struggle with the OCD side that can be so critical nothing gets done. Thankfully, I'm also ADD so I've learned to look at it without recognizing the need to let it affect me. Self-criticism is always worse than that of the real world.

Jen said...

Marvelous post! And I LOVE Anne Lamott. Her wisdom always astounds me and cracks me up. Thank you for sharing this! Heaven knows I've made my share of mistakes. That makes me an expert in something, right? :) Happy IWSG Day!

Jen

F. Stone said...

Thanks for the spirited advice. I'm guilty of needing to be the absolute best in public, my appearance and behavior immaculate. Well, until I reached my senior years and realized I can let me hair down and no one says a word if I don't wear makeup. It's a long process of letting go. My husband worried that his black socks weren't exact mates. Told him no one would notice and even if someone did, to my knowledge no one went to jail for mismatched socks. However, when it comes to writing, I'll agonize over every sentence. But then, that's expected. The trick is knowing when it's as good as I can get it, and move on.